1. Survey of Registered Dietitians’ Recommendations and Personal Consumption of Canned Foods. Can Manufacturers Institute, December 2013.
2. The Role of Canned Produce in Increasing Children and Families’ Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables – Moms’ Fruit & Vegetable Challenges Survey. Can Manufacturers Institute, December 2014.
3. See CMI Spring 2017 Menu Model
4. Proctor, B.D., J.L. Semega, & M.A. Kollar. 2016. Income and Poverty in the United States: 2015. U.S. Census Bureau.
5. USDA Economic Research Service. Food Access Research Atlas: Documentation. Last updated: January 24, 2017. Accessed April 12, 2017.
6. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2017. Review of WIC food packages: Improving balance and choice: Final report. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.
7. Briefel, R., Gothro, A., Sinclair M., et al. 2017. Evaluation of the Pilot Project for Canned, Frozen, or Dried Fruits and Vegetables in theFresh Fruit and Vegetable Program: Final Report. Alexandria, VA.
8. The NPD Group’s Food Impact Profile: Analyzing the Healthfulness of the Canned Food Users’ Diet. Can Manufacturers Institute, 2014.
9. Feeding America. 2014. Hunger in America 2014, National Report.
10. Department of Agriculture and U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. 2016. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2015-2020. 8th Edition, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
11. Freedman MR, Fulgoni VL. Canned Vegetable and Fruit Consumption is Associated with Changes in Nutrient Intake and Higher Diet Quality in Children and Adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination 2001-2002. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2015.
12. Comerford K. 2015. Frequent Canned Food Use is Positively Associated with Nutrient-Dense Food Group Consumption and Higher Nutrient Intakes in US Children and Adults. Nutrients.
13. U.S. Department of Agriculture. ChooseMyPlate.gov Website. Washington, DC. Accessed April 12, 2017.
14. Primary Shoppers’ Attitudes and Beliefs Related to Fruit and Vegetable Consumption, 2012-2016. Produce for Better Health Foundation, 2017.