Improve Your Food Can IQ
There’s a lot to know about steel food cans. Get detailed facts and figures about sustainability, recycling, consumer preferences, nutrition, economic impacts and more.
Feeding the world for over 200 years.
- More than 1,500 food items come in steel cans
- Canned fruits and veggies are picked and packed at the peak of ripeness, cooked quickly at high temperatures and sterilized in steel cans to keep nutrients in and impurities out
- Canned goods are the most tamper-resistant food packaging option available today
- Canned food is as nutritious as its fresh and frozen counterparts upon preparation
Steel food cans are the most recycled package.
- Steel cans are made with a minimum of 25 percent recycled content.
- Steel food cans can be recycled over and over without loss of quality
- Approximately 20 billion steel cans were recycled into new products in 2008
- Americans use more than 100 million steel cans every day
- More than 600 steel cans are recycled every second in the U.S.
- Steel food cans are 100% recyclable and contain a minimum of 25% recycled content
- Recycling one ton of steel cans conserves 2500 lbs. of iron ore, 1400 lbs. of coal and 120 lbs. of limestone for use by future generations
- Every pound of steel cans recycled conserves enough energy to light a 60-watt bulb for 26 hours
For additional information, please visit www.CansGetYouCooking.com.